// Who are we?
Hazy is an AI start-up that helps people to use data whilst treating it responsibly. We’re a spin-out from the University College London’s (UCL) Centre for Computation, Mathematics and Physics. In 2018 we secured $1 million in funding after winning the Innovate AI award from Microsoft’s venture fund (M12) - they identified us as one of the most innovative companies harnessing the power of artificial intelligence. Alongside this, we have secured the backing from some of Europe’s most influential Investors.
Our team is comprised of a diverse group from around the globe and we are all committed to striving for transparency and excellence in everything we do. If you're interested in joining a business at the cutting edge of AI and you're eager to make a difference in the realm of privacy and data ethics, we’d love to hear from you.
// What are we doing?
Hazy uses AI techniques to generate synthetic data to remove the data privacy concerns companies have when using sensitive data. This makes it simpler to innovate with data because it is easier to use and share. Our customers use Hazy to empower their data teams to get more out of their data in a safer way and help protect the people within that data.
We’re at an exciting point in our development. The founding team have defined strong product market fit and are now looking to capitalise on a defined opportunity to build up to Series A funding.
// The Role
Hazy is looking for an experienced, hands-on Engineering Manager to help our team of world-class data scientists and developers achieve world class performance.
You’ll have the opportunity to lead by example and establish the foundations of a progressive, diverse, cross-disciplinary and high-performing Engineering culture.
- As an Engineer, the team (currently 6 people) will look to you to steer day-to-day delivery and help them manage and define their workloads
- As a Manager, you will be responsible for personal development and contributing to general team growth and hiring
- As a servant leader, you should enjoy adopting a player-coach role within the team and shifting your focus according to the team's needs
You will be empowered and supported in driving positive change across culture, process, technology and execution:
- Translate product requirements into technical specifications and implementation plans
- Facilitate and contribute to technical design and implementation decisions within the team
- Champion collaboration and continuous delivery of non-trivial technical and product features
- Coordinate and facilitate cross-disciplinary collaboration between data scientists, data engineers and developers
- Encourage a healthy balance between short-term pragmatism and long-term perfectionism
- Ultimately drive velocity, maintain focus and help the team to ship product
- Senior-level software engineering experience
- Previous experience as a line manager within a technical team
- Proven ability to contribute high quality code in one or more languages
- Experience with high- and low-level code reviews
Beneficial but not essential:
- Experience line-managing remote reports across a distributed team
- Experience in hiring and budgeting for team growth and expansion
- Experience managing both software development and data science / technical research work
We have an evolving technology stack but experience with Python, Elixir, Docker and ML libraries like Tensorflow and Pytorch will reduce the initial learning curve.
// What else is on offer?
- Lovely bright office in one of London’s best co-working spaces (a stone’s throw from Old Spitalfields Market - you will never go hungry again..)
- State of the art kit - let us know what tools you need to do your job to the best of your ability
- Generous holiday allowance
- We take your personal, and career development really seriously - we’ll work closely together to scope out clear objectives and goals that will ensure you keep developing.
Hazy is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age.